What is anastrazole?
Arimidex (Anastrazole) 1mg x 28 Tabs.
It is a film coated tablet and is a hormonal treatment. ACC to the function it performs it comes under the category of non steroidal aromatase inhibitors. Presence or absence of food doesn’t make any difference in its absorption but for maximum effects it must be taken at se time daily.
What is its half life?
It’s half life is 50 hours.
How does it work?
Aromatase is an enzyme which converts testosterone to estrogen in the body and this medicine Anastrozole works by preventing or inhibiting this enzyme thus preventing the buildup of estrogen in the body as its increased level may lead to certain side effects or disadvantages.
Is Anastrozole considered for chemotherapy sessions?
No it is not considered for chemotherapy sessions. It is a hormone therapy. Chemotherapy medication targets and kills cancerous cells and tumors whereas Anastrozole works only by stopping or preventing their growth.
Describe its effect on blood pressure: Arimidex (Anastrazole) 1mg x 28 Tabs.
It increases the blood pressure and causes hypertension. Increase in BP is directly proportional to various cardiovascular problems and situations like development of heart stroke.
Adverse effects: Arimidex (Anastrazole) 1mg x 28 Tabs.
Side effects may start within 24 hours of administration and they are as follows:-
- It reduces density of bones thus may lead to osteoporosis
- It gives rise to hypertension
- Thinning of hair and also hair loss
- Deteriorated memory and concentrating power
- Increased risks of blood clots and heart stroke
- Nausea, vomiting, red flushes and headaches.
- Arthralgia ( joint pain)
- Myalgia (muscle pain)
- Development of gastric pain , constipation etc
- Increases cholesterol level in blood
Who should not take this medication?
- Patients hypersensitive towards it.
- Breastfeeding or lactating mothers
- Women who are pregnant
Benefits: Arimidex (Anastrazole) 1mg x 28 Tabs.
- It is used to cure women who have attained menopause and are susceptible to hormone dependent breast or lobular carcinoma.
- As it prevents conversion of testosterone to estrogen, it elevates the level of testosterone in the body which helps men with hypogonadism. Thus it is proven useful in problems like erectile dysfunction
- It is also used for the treatment of early puberty
What to avoid while taking anastrazole: Arimidex (Anastrazole) 1mg x 28 Tabs.
Substances like alcohol, beef, grapes, grapefruit juice, corn oil, lemon and limes are found to decrease the efficacy of aromatase inhibitors or increase the level of estrogen in the body thus must be avoided by being taken with anastrazole.
What must be taken during treatment with anastrazole: Arimidex (Anastrazole) 1mg x 28 Tabs.
Best suggested items are food items that contain low fibers , bland foods like white rice, baked chicken etc.
Storage: Arimidex (Anastrazole) 1mg x 28 Tabs.
Store it in a tightly closed and labeled container keeping it away from direct sunlight, heat , moisture, children and pets. Do not refrigerate it.